Saturday, February 9, 2008

Maria Bamford + baked goods = Saturday on the couch

My dog is right now sitting up on top of the couch cushions at my left shoulder. I must admit, I'm using his ass as a nice comfy head rest. I watched three new Maria Bamford shows today (can't believe I missed that many!), and the best was the last one where she tells the emergency vet what relation she is to Blossom the pug:

"We're life partners. She's my wife. We're wives."
check it out: http://www.superdeluxe.com/sd/artist/maria_bamford

If only Chip were a girl, he'd be my wife. But at this point, he has to live with the high distinction of head rest.

This week's blog is expressly dedicated to Maria Bamford, for whom I gave my email address to some random website that might convince her to come to Minneapolis, MN. We're currently in second place behind Portland. We deserve Maria much more than those cakeaters. (actually, I know nothing of portlandeers, nor their preference in pastries).

Go and "demand" her yourself, friends! Portland has 39 demands and I made mpls a close 2nd with 38. You can tip the scales! It's not like you have to give out your bank account or ssn ... just your email address. That shit is always quite easy to unsubscribe from.

http://eventful.com/performers/maria-bamford/music-/P0-001-000009214-3

And finally, since you brought up pastries, I must inform you of my new favorite bakery: The Bakers Wife. Yummmmmmmy. It's at the corner of 28th Ave and 42nd st. in South Mpls. It's this tiny little rectangle positively overflowing with flaky, sweet, crunchy, chewy pastry goodness. I got the "Creme Brulee" pastry and it was so custardy and buttery I just wanted to keep eating it. I'm still daydreaming about it. And their croissants (which I immediately recognized as the ones I get at Nokomis coffee shop) are very unique - a bit more substantive outer crust than some croissant purists might like, but I love them. And they're huge. If you're a south-minneapolite, you really should check it out. Call me and I'll go with you. Oh, and Chris loves the crispy/crumby homemade doughnuts we get at Nokomis coffee shop, which I can only assume also come from The Baker's Wife. I must say, the baker's wifey - she knows a good pastry when she makes one.

2 comments:

cate said...

Pete, the math teacher I work with, always gets treats from Baker's Wife when we have class parties. Sooooo good.

Btw, I totally support the plan for you guys to open up a cafe/bar. I love the kind of place like Acadia/Common Roots that are good for all meals of the day, drinks and snacks, studying and seeing live music. They have them all over Europe, why can't we?

Maybe in a few years some of us will be real grown-ups and have savings and be your investment partners... Our babies can play while we eat tasty burritos and sip local brews... mmm. perfect...

momo said...

OOOH - I am numero 39!!! Portland and Minneaps are tied!